Last Updated – April 10, 2014
BioNews Services provides its users with a digital media platform focused on the biotechnology, life science and academic research industries in the State of Services via the bionews-tx.com URL, or any other URL provided by BioNews Services (collectively, the “Website”), and/or any other digital media platform accessed its users (the “Platform” and together with the Website, the “BioNews Services Service”). The BioNews Services Service is owned and operated by BioNews Services, LLC, a Texas limited liability company (“BioNews Services”, “we” or “us”).
2. Types and Uses of Collected Information. Many of BioNews Services services, do not require any form of registration or identification. You can freely visit many of our web pages without telling us who you are. However, some other of our services, such as enquiring for specific clinical trials, do require that you provide your personal details, including but not limited to information about your medical history, demographics, and other. This allows us to process and/or send you information that you request about specific clinical trials. We request your consent to collect your personally identifiable information when you seek to register for a BioNews Services program or service. In doing so, we also explain, for that program or service, what you are registering to receive and how we plan to use your personal information
BioNews Services takes all reasonable steps to ensure that personal data collected is reliable for its intended use, accurate, complete, and current. BioNews Services collects two types of information about you:
a. Personally Identifiable Information. Personally Identifiable Information is information that identifies a specific person. When you engage in certain activities via the BioNews Services Service, including but not limited to creating an account, sending feedback, or otherwise participating in the BioNews Services Service (collectively, “Identification Activities”), we may ask you to provide certain information about yourself. If you elect to engage in an Identification Activity such as inquiring about a specific investigational clinical research trial, however, we may ask you to provide us with certain personal information about yourself, such as your first and last name, your mailing address, your age, birth date, gender, e-mail address, telephone number and information about your medical history, some of the information we ask you to provide may be identified as mandatory and some identified as voluntary. If you do not provide mandatory information for a particular Identification Activity, you will not be permitted to engage in that Identification Activity with the BioNews Services Service. Depending on the Identification Activity, BioNews Services may not re-ask you for Personally Identifiable Information if such are already stored with us.
We use Non-Personally Identifiable Information to troubleshoot, administer the BioNews Services Service, analyze trends, gather demographic information, comply with applicable law, and cooperate with law enforcement activities. We may also share this information with our authorized Third Party Service Providers to measure the overall effectiveness of our products and services.
3. Consent to Provide Your Information to BioNews Services. We request your consent to collect your personally identifiable information when you seek to inquire for an investigational clinical research program or service. In doing so, we also explain, for that program or service, what you are registering to receive and how we plan to use your personal information. We also offer you the option of discontinuing your consent (“opting out” or “unsubscribing”) if you later decide that you no longer want to participate in that program or receive additional information from us. If we wish to use this information for purposes incompatible from those for which the data was initially collected, we will offer an effective way to opt out of the secondary use.
4. Release of Personally Identifiable Information. We will not sell or share your Personally Identifiable Information with other parties except as provided below:
a. Authorized Third Party Service Providers. BioNews Services may provide products and services through third parties. These “Third Party Service Providers” perform functions on our or your behalf. You or We may share your Personally Identifiable Information with such Third Party Service Providers to fulfill orders, move data in or out of the BioNews Services Service, analyze data, operate the BioNews Services Service, troubleshoot and provide customer service. We may also provide personal information to individuals and companies with whom we have business relationships and may share your information with Third Party Service Providers to accomplish our administrative tasks. However, the use of your Personally Identifiable Information by such parties is governed by the privacy policies of such parties and is not subject to our control.
5. Referrals. You may choose to invite friends to join or read BioNews Services by sending invitation emails via an invite feature. BioNews Services stores the email addresses you provide so that the respondents may be sent reminders of the invitations. BioNews Services does not sell these email addresses or use them to send any other communication besides invitations and invitation reminders. Recipients of invitations may contact BioNews Services to request removal of their information from our database.
5. Release of Non-Personally Identifiable Information. We may disclose or share Non-Personally Identifiable Information with Third Party Service Providers and the general public. For example, we may share aggregated demographic information (which does not include any Personally Identifiable Information) or use Third Party Service Providers to track and analyze Non-Personally Identifiable usage and volume statistical information from our users to administer the BioNews Services Service. We may also publish this aggregated information for promotional purposes. Such data is collected on our behalf, and is owned and used by us.
We may use Third Party Service Providers to serve ads when you participate in the BioNews Services Service. These companies may use Non-Personally Identifiable Information about your visits and use of the BioNews Services Service, and visits to other websites or locations in order to provide, through the use of network tags, advertisements about goods and services that may be of interest to you.
7. Updating Information. If you are enrolled in the BioNews Services Service, you may change any of your applicable Personally Identifiable Information by logging into your account and accessing the user profile page. We encourage you to promptly update your Personally Identifiable Information if it changes, as out-of-date Personally Identifiable Information may negatively affect the quality of your BioNews Services Service experience.
8. Choices on Collection/Use of Information. You can always choose not to provide certain information, although a certain level of information may be required to engage and participate in the BioNews Services Service. If you are enrolled, you cannot opt-out of Administrative Emails. “Administrative Emails” relate to a your activity on the BioNews Services Service, and include but are not limited to emails regarding your account, requests or inquiries. If you do not want to receive promotional emails from us, you may elect to opt-out of receiving promotional emails at any time after registering by e-mailing us at [email protected]s-tx.com or by hitting the “unsubscribe” button at the bottom of any of our e-mails.
9. Security of Information. You can access your Personally Identifiable Information via the BioNews Services Service with your password and username. This password is encrypted. We advise against sharing your password with anyone. If you access your account via a third-party site or service, you may have additional or different sign-in protections via that third-party site or service. You need to prevent unauthorized access to your account and Personal Information by selecting and protecting your password and/or other sign-in mechanism appropriately and limiting access to your computer, browser, or mobile device by signing off after you have finished accessing your account. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors, may compromise the security of user information at any time. In the event that we believe that the security of your information may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. In addition, your Personally Identifiable Information resides on a secure server that only selected personnel and contractors have access to. We may encrypt certain sensitive information using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology to ensure that your Personally Identifiable Information is safe as it is transmitted to us. However, no data transmission can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we employ commercially reasonable security measures to protect data and seek to partner with companies that do the same, we cannot guarantee the security of any information transmitted to or from or via the BioNews Services Service, and we are not responsible for the actions of any third parties that may receive any such information.
10. Data Tracking
b. Other Tracking Devices. We may use other industry standard technologies like pixel tags and web beacons to track your use of the BioNews Services Service, or we may allow our Third Party Service Providers to use these devices on our behalf. When you access the BioNews Services Service or open or click an email, pixel tags and web beacons generate a Non-Personally Identifiable notice of that action. Pixel tags allow us to measure and improve our understanding of visitor traffic and behavior on the BioNews Services Service, as well as give us a way to measure our promotions and performance. We may also utilize pixel tags and web beacons provided by our marketing partners for the same purposes.
12. Email Choice/Opt-out. We will make commercially reasonable efforts to implement your email opt-out requests promptly, but you may still receive communications from us for up to ten business days as we process your request.
13. Privacy Settings. As a user, you may have limited access to privacy settings. These settings help hide information you wish to share with other users and/or the public. It is up to you to select the appropriate privacy settings. If you don’t agree with the available privacy settings, please stop using the BioNews Services Service.
14. Public Areas. We may provide areas on the BioNews Services Service where you can publicly post information about yourself or can communicate with others such as on forums. This information may be accessible by other users and companies and may appear on other websites or web searches, and therefore this information could be read, collected, and used by others. We have no control over who reads your postings or what other users may do with the information you voluntarily post, so please use caution when posting any content or providing anything that could be deemed personal information.
15. Notice of Privacy Rights to California Residents. California law requires that we provide you with a summary of your privacy rights under the California Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”) and the California Business and Professions Code. As required by COPPA, we will provide you with the categories of Personally Identifiable Information that we collect through the BioNews Services Service and the categories of third party persons or entities with whom such Personally Identifiable Information may be shared for direct marketing purposes at your request. California law requires us to inform you, at your request, (1) the categories of Personally Identifiable Information we collect and what third parties we share that information with; (2) the names and addresses of those third parties; and (3) examples of the products marketed by those companies. COPPA further requires us to allow you to control who you do not want us to share that information with. To obtain this information, please send a request by email or physical mail to the address found below. When contacting us, please indicate your name, address, email address, and what Personally Identifiable Information you do not want us to share with our marketing partners. The request should be sent to the attention of our legal department, and labeled “California Customer Choice Notice.” Please allow 30 days for a response. Also, please note that there is no charge for controlling the sharing of your Personally Identifiable Information or requesting this notice.
16. Children. The BioNews Services Service is not directed to people under the age of 13. If you become aware that your child has provided us with personal information without your consent, please contact us at [email protected]