January is a new month and year, which marks a whole new start. Having cerebral palsy shouldn’t stop anyone from making new year resolutions. I like Christmastime, but I also always like opening a brand new calendar to write down my New Year’s resolutions. I rarely complete all of them, but writing my goals helps keep me on track. Having goals keeps you moving ahead and to obtain achievements. Big or small, resolutions don’t matter as long as you make them and don’t give up when they become difficult.
Here is a suggested list of new year resolutions that might inspire you to make your own. Don’t ever be afraid to reach high for goals. It doesn’t mean you have to complete all of them, but it does put you on the fast track to success.
1. Look back at the previous year and see what you can improve on or complete. Is there a bad relationship or unhealthy friendship that you should end? A bad habit that you are ready to drop? Maybe you have things that you need to finish, but you kept putting it off. Now is the time to tie up any loose ends so you can move on to a new beginning.
2. Not being able to walk or physically do something gives people the perfect excuse not to exercise. I know because I’ve done it, too. But as long as you can move at least one body part, you can exercise. Call your local gyms and YMCA to see if they have any exercise equipment you can use. Perhaps they can order it for you. Join an exercise class and do what you can. Stop the excuses because we all know having a disability doesn’t mean you can’t exercise. It only means you need to adapt your routine.
3. Get all your medical appointments scheduled and actually go to them. Having cerebral palsy can make going to the doctor exhausting. However, putting off serious tests can have very dangerous results.
4. What are your professional goals? Sometimes disabilities can make us forget that we do have valuable contributions to society. Technology and the Internet have made career goals so much more obtainable. Ignore the fear and just do whatever it is that you love. No more excuses; life is too short to waste.
5. Love more. When I say love more, I’m talking about loving others and yourself. Are you in a relationship that gives to you what you deserve? Are you giving to the relationship what they deserve? Thinking about others, making time and helping others are the way to happiness.
6. Get reacquainted with physical, occupational, and speech therapies that will improve your life. Therapy might be hard work, but it also pays off. No pain, no gain, and that is the simple truth.
7. Choose happiness. Getting wrapped up in self pity and laziness is just too easy. Happiness isn’t a gift from someone else. Happiness is a gift you give yourself every day. If you’re a miserable person, then you tend to attract miserable people into your life. However, if you choose to find joy in life, you’ll attract joyful people. Do things that make you feel happy. Let go of thinking everyone is out to get you. Look for the good in people instead of the bad. Drop drama and make the right choices so you avoid drama. Be happy.
I hope you have a pleasant, successful, friendly and happy year. Focus positively and look on the bright side. Smile and open your hear to love, forgiveness and hard work.
Note: Cerebral Palsy News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of Cerebral Palsy News Today, or its parent company, BioNews Services, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to cerebral palsy.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?